Matthew 6:16

"When you fast, do not look gloomy..."

Friday, March 18, 2011

Mustard Seed

Courtesy of Photobucket




Matthew 13: 31-32 31Another parable he proposed unto them, saying: The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field.
    32Which is the least indeed of all seeds; but when it is grown up, it is greater than all herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come, and dwell in the branches thereof.

I remember Jesus comparing faith to a mustard seed, indicating that a little goes a long way.   I do not remember the kingdom of heaven being compared to a mustard seed.  I'm supposing right now that the point is that the world holds it in low esteem because it's not of much material worth here, but that in the future, it will be awesome.
 It's hard not to get shook up when things start feeling shaky.  It's tough to say "Hey, it's okay, God is in control, and we'll be okay."   I notice, though, that Jesus did not refuse to calm the winds just because Peter and the other disciples were lacking in faith.   He loves them, and he responded anyway.

  I also read about Jesus sending the evil spirits of of a man and into two thousand swine.  TWO THOUSAND SWINE!   That poor man was tormented by as many spirits as would fill two thousand swine!   And the people of that town asked Jesus to leave?   I realize that that herd belonged to someone, and they lost property, but what about the joy of seeing a man no longer tormented?   How very sad that they only saw the loss of property, and not what they gained.

And they weren't the only cold people!   Mark 5:35  35While he was yet speaking, some come from the ruler of the synagogue's house, saying: Thy daughter is dead: why dost thou trouble the master any further?


Um... WHAT???   THAT'S how they break the news to a man that his beloved child is dead?  

I supposed shocked as I am by such coldness, I have to ask of myself if my heart has been more open and kind to those around me.   I don't know, but I do hope it WILL be...

2 comments:

  1. Jesus compares the kingdom of heaven to a mustard seed which a man plants in his garden in Matthew 13: 31-32, which I wrote a post about for next week.

    I think we all could stand to be more open and kind to those around us. I'm liking this blog, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't understand people who can be so cold. What's happened to their hearts? Very upsetting.

    My grandma had (and now I have) a little pendant that's a tiny glass ball with a mustard seed inside it. She's in Heaven now seeing the fruit of that little seed!

    ReplyDelete